Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Week 2!

I have been waiting to post until I had some image of togetherness with my apartment, so here it is, my bathroom. That beautiful shower curtain came today, and I am going with a white and navy/indigo theme.

Enough on the apartment though, it's time for me to fill you all in on my life: Since Wednesday I have been in TFA round zero. This is our professional development that helps us set big goals for our classroom, plan our units, familiarize ourselves with content, and get a sense of what the year will look like. I am excited to share my big goal for my class this year with all of you.

My big goal is that students will be qualified to apply for the National Junior Honor Society by the end of the year by acquiring a 3.75 GPA, passing our ELA (English Language Arts) EOG (End of Grade assessment), and completing our writing project.

I know what you are all thinking... this is insane and way too ambitious. The point of setting these big goals is that by the end of the year my students will be able to compete with their high income peers. I believe that if I do not push my students towards this goal everyday I am not providing my students with the opportunities that I had, nor am I providing them with the opportunities that they deserve. Studies show that students who are put in high tracks K-12 have a higher chance of success in the future. So this is my goal, getting my kids on these high tracks so that one day they will write to me about their college experiences.

I hope that as I embark on this exciting journey you all will feel invested in this goal as well. If you have any ideas related to my goal please share them with me. Also keep emailing, calling, and texting because I will definitely need your support when the going gets tough.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Big goals indeed! I'm so excited for you moving into this awesome new experience and for your students too, to have you as their teacher.