Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dear Mr. Rushdie

Yesterday I decided to put myself out on a limb and try to contact the author of my students' first novel. Our first novel is Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie, so naturally I emailed Rushdie's agency. Much to my disbelief I got an email back this morning! The news, however, was not good, Rushdie I was told did not have enough time to write my students an email as he is deep in the writing process. I am not going to take no for answer so easily though. I emailed them again today with this African Proverb:
http://archive.uua.org/re/reach/fall00/social_justice/how_are_the_children.html

and asked that the agency asks one more time (or for the first time probably) and as they ask, they should consider themselves as people who are looking out for the children. So hopefully Rushdie will sign on, write me 6 sentences or less about why he wrote Haroun and the Sea of Stories so that I can have a 1st person account to give my students Monday, and he will forever ask himself from now on "how are the children?"

1 comment:

Lindsey Hicks said...

Good for you! Please post the response if he does. I've been wondering how you've been doing and was thrilled to find your blog (it took some creative searching). You are so positive and inspiring that it can't help but rub off on your students. Also -- your apartment is gorgeous -- hopefully as the year goes on you'll be able to spend a bit more time in it.