Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Little Things

When you wake up in the morning you never quite know what is going to be the thing that makes or breaks your day. I know that so much of the time my students are the ones to cause me pure joy, or copious amounts of stress. As I am grieving, I find myself waiting for the little things that will really cheer me up. The other night my dad and I talked about all of the cards that we've received, and how just a small note can make all of the difference to us. I look forward to these cards, to phone calls, texts, and emails from my incredibly supportive friends, to the wonderful and remarkably joyous moments with my students, to losing myself in my kitchen, to the Saturday farmers market, and to yoga.

I must share one of the best cards that I've gotten with all of you (The pictures are a little funny because I am trying to hide the student's name):

The front says: "As long as you are out I will read every book on.... EARTH"












The first inside cover says:
"Dear Ms. Samuel I know your sadder than ever. Since your my favorite teacher, and the nicest person I know. I made this card. I love you like my own family. I know how you feel my great grandma died in 09. You are indeed important and a special person in my life. Hope you like my poem!!!!"













The poem goes like this:
Title: I am used to tears

"1 My mom wets up my shirt. I am used to tears. I turn tears into smiles when cries are near. It's impossible to keep the cries out my ears.
2 Sniff and shiver. I will share all the pain. Sharing is more beautiful than a horse's mane. Lot's of others do not feel the same
3 Ms. Samuel...I am used to tears !!!"









I wish I could say that I taught him to write like that, but he did that all on his own!

No comments: