Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Books for my classroom on Donors Choose!

Hello All!
I found out in the beginning of the year that one of the books I am required to read with my students is Lord of the Flies. This is a super challenging book for 6th graders, but I think if I break the content down for them, and strip away some of the challenging vocabulary it can be done! It cannot be done, however, in the amount of time allotted if my students do not spend some of the time reading the book at home.I am given a class set to work with (roughly 30 copies) and that is all. So in an effort to level the playing field, and give my students a similar experience to their high-income peers I recently submitted a donors choose request for 87 copies of the book. This will cost roughly $1016. Since last night at about 10 p.m. thanks to a few wonderful friends I was able to raise over $250. Now we only have $732 to go! Ideally I will raise all of the money by the end of next week so that the order can go in and the books will come in time. This means I am asking for money with a strong sense of urgency! Your support in the past few months has been wonderful, you all inspire me on a daily basis. Please donate today even if it is only enough to cover the cost of one book ($8.71 with no taxes, shipping costs, etc.)! Thank you again and again.

Here is the link:
http://www.donorschoose.org/zsamuel

No comments: